So, in case you are like me, and would like a trimmed down version of this recipe's instructions, along with some changes I made to simplify the cooking process for myself, here it is:
Makes 6-8 servings
3 Chicken Breasts (cooked in crock pot with 1 cup water on low for 6 hrs, then shredded)
2 Tbs Olive Oil
1 Yellow Onion
2 Stalks Celery, sliced
3 Large Carrots, sliced
8 Cups Chicken Stock (not broth)
1 cup Arborio Rice (Risotto Rice)
2 tsp Salt
2 tsp Black Pepper
3 Eggs, Whisked
2 Lemons, Juiced (about 1/2 cup)
*Place Chicken in crock pot in the morning and cook with 1 cup of water on low for 4-6 hours. Turn crock pot to warm, shred chicken in pot and set aside until ready to use*
When Ready to Eat:
- Add Olive Oil to a large stock pot and heat over medium high heat. Add Onion, Celery and Carrots to pot and sauté for about 5-6 minutes.
- Add Chicken Stock, Rice, Salt and Pepper to the pot and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat, cover and simmer on low for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, turn off heat and remove 1 cup of cooking liquid. Set aside -- this will be used to temper your eggs.
- In a small bowl whisk together 3 eggs and lemon juice. Temper the eggs. To Temper: Pour a small amount of reserved soup liquid (about 2 Tbs at a time) into eggs while whisking constantly, fully incorporate liquid and eggs before adding more liquid. Continue until whisking and adding liquid in batches.
- Add tempered eggs to the stock pot and stir to incorporate. Add shredded chicken and any liquid from the crock pot to the soup. Stir and Serve! Season with Salt and Pepper to taste -- Enjoy!
This is an amazing recipe that I hope you will try!