6 T Butter, softened
1/2 Cup + 2 T Brown Sugar
2 T Milk
1 1/4 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
1 1/4 Cup All Purpose Flour
2 T Wheat Germ
2 T Oat Bran
1 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
1/8 tsp Nutmeg
1/2 tsp Salt
1 Cup Fruit Butter (I used Fig and Mango)
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
- Cream butter and brown sugar in a large bowl
- Add milk and whip until light and fluffy
- Add eggs, one at a time, mixing until combined after each addition
- Add dry ingredients (baking faux pas...) and mix until soft dough forms
- Collect dough into a ball, cover with seran wrap and place in fridge for 4 hours, or overnight
- Divided chilled dough into fourths. Set aside one fourth, return the remaining three sections to the fridge
- Roll our dough section into a 1/4 inch thick rectangle
- Working quickly (dough becomes very soft when it warms) spread 1/4 cup of fruit butter on top of the dough, leaving a small edge.
- Fold the dough in half, enveloping the fruit butter, and press edges gently to seal.
- Place dough onto baking sheet and repeat for the remaining sections of dough
- Bake for 20 min or until golden brown.
- Place on cooling rack. Cut into squares after bars have cooled.
I recommend dividing the dough into fourths, instead of halves because I found it very difficult to work with in the larger quantity. Be sure to work quickly, because once the dough comes out of the fridge it gets soft fast! Also, don't worry about the rolled dough shape being a perfect rectangle, or the edges coming together perfectly once you fold the dough over -- I liked the way mine turned out rustic looking! These would be awesome with any fruit butter, apple may be next on my list!