I finished and shipped the Pachyderm Phever quilt! I am very happy with how it turned out, but the road that led to the finished project was long and winding. This quilt morphed so many times, I lost track! My initial intention was to make a sort of brick pattern, which then turned into a square pattern with a border across each row, which then transformed into squares with individual borders and then a larger border around the entire quilt
I was so happy with how the quilt top came together once all of the blocks had been pieced – but don’t be fooled by the top’s simple design, this quilt had a TON of seams involved and every time you have a seam, you have potential for a quilting mishap.
Feeling awesome about how everything was coming together, I made my quilt sandwich (a phrase used to reference the ‘sandwich’ that’s made when you stack your backing fabric, batting and quilt top) and started to quilt. That’s when disaster struck….about half way through stitching my vertical lines I realized (although I knew it from the very first stitch) that there was no amount of pushing and pulling that was going to save the bunching that was happening at end of EVERY line….as a mom and a wife, I have learned that you have to pick your battles. And, I am also learning that the same concept applies to quilting…and man, was this quilt looking for a fight!! So, after a few exaggerated breaths, a slap of the palm to the forehead and a defeating slump in my shoulders, I decided to throw in the towel and start over…bah!
As hard as it was to admit defeat, I am so glad that I did! The finished product is a MILLION times better than what would have resulted had I stuck to my guns.
… And, that’s why I say sewing is a fluid art….
I love when a plan falls apart! I am so thrilled with how this quilt turned out and am so excited to be sending it to my cousin’s new baby!